Haters. We probably all have them, right? Those people who just can't stand you for whatever unholy reason. Say you get a comment from a hater that's actually really offensive and can be considered harassment. How do you deal with it?
1. Read it. Read it and look at it and look away from your computer. At this point, you're either extremely angry and wanna punch their face, or upset and ready to cry about it. So just look away, go do something else, imagine yourself actually responding and then go back and delete the comment. TL;DR think about it and end up saying nothing.
2. Respond. If you chose to do the above, but STILL have a fire inside you that says to comment or defend yourself, do it. But there are right and wrong ways to handle it. For example:
Give them their own medicine in a way that's appropriate and solely for defense. Overdoing it makes you look REALLY immature and unable to take anything. Make it short and sweet, and if you can try to be humorous about it.
Doing a huge comment back to them is not the right thing. Avoid showing if you're actually upset and stooping directly down to their level isn't right either. Also being a smartass isn't good but if used correctly it can be alright, not always.
3. Ignore all together. If you see a hateful comment it's best to just ignore it, other methods have the possibility of solving the problem, but with the chance of it getting worse for you. The best way to stop it at the source is to ignore and hide the comment.
4. If the "Hate" is actually a critique done very hastily, try to ask them what they really mean, and tell them how they said it was a little too harsh. Or, again, don't respond. (People shouldn't be giving their "two cents" on your picture unless you actually asked for it.)
Really the problem is people don't respond correctly, or go on an impulse, and it ends up making THEM look bad. Remember it is the internet, you don't know anybody anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. XD But really for your own sake, just try not to reply... and don't get involved in things that aren't your problems. If you have enough on your own, the LEAST you need is MORE by trying to handle your freaking friend's issues as well. Also using your watchers to get a hater down is poo-poo. It makes you look like you're a five year old who can't take a hit. But unless you need a slew of people to report, then I guess it's okay...
Now that that part is covered, let's move on to trolls. What is a troll, though? I bet most of you can answer that. But I'm going to describe it a different way. A troll is a person who likes to screw with people for attention. Your "fixing" him (aka yelling at him to "OMG STAP U TRPLLL!!!:!:!:!!!>!>!!<!<!MM!" makes it worse.) equals his getting more attention. Which is what he wants. So, how do you handle it?
1. IGNORRRREEE! If you know he's a troll, it's a bunch of bullshitting anyways and shouldn't be taken seriously. Move on. Please for the love of god it's not worth it because he won't stop anyways. XD
2. If you're gonna respond... troll the troll. Join in with his act, go along with it. This usually gets them to stop or at least buddy-buddy with you for a while.
1. Getting butthurt about it. This makes them happy and only feeds the fire-- and it will just get even worse.
2. Getting your white knights to tell him off... same consequence as above.
MY RULE: REPLY ONCE OR YOU'RE A DUNCE! Replying more than once to a troll/hater is stupid. Just once does the trick. :I Also hating the haters and trolls just feeds the fire and makes it get worse.
Okay, time for art thieves! Everyone gets their art stolen nowadays, right? And since the dA staff barely even cares anymore, what are we to do? You're prolly upset your poor art went to waste at the hands of a thief. But I'm here to show you how to deal with it.
1. Just report the thief and move on.
2. Make a nice comment about why stealing is wrong... if it's a troll thief just do #1 and don't comment.
3. If it's YOUR art stolen, calm down, it's not that big of a deal. YOU'RE the one who posted it free on the internet with no creative commons license, after all.
1. Yelling at them to go die because they're a horrible person. It makes you the bad guy.
2. Posting a journal about it sending your white knights once again to handle the problem for you... -.-
Now, I'm just gonna say a few things. :3 This is the internet. It's not serious, and should not be treated as such. Pretty much just ignore the crap and you'll be fine, just don't be a baby about it. Because you know what? In a few years none of it will matter anyways. <3
Thanks for reading, have a nice day!